The current slate roof on the library is nearing its 100th year and is starting to deteriorate. It must be replaced to protect the building and all of its contents.
- Slate tiles are period correct and respect the building’s listing in the National Register of Historic Places.
- Slate is an incredibly durable material with a lifespan of 100 years; it is also fire-resistant offering an added layer of protection.
- Slate is a natural material that is sustainably sourced; it can be recycled and reused, reducing its environmental impact.
- Slate tiles provide greater insulation, reducing heating and cooling expenses
- Slate tiles have a long life, 4x longer than asphalt shingles. The new slate roof will outlive all of us and is a gift to future generations.